Today, the 22nd of March 2016, my heart is bleeding. I am safe in my Brussels apartment, but still shocked by what happened. Just wanted to write a little article declaring my love for Brussels in 22 points.
* I was born in Brussels. I lived here most of my life. It feels like home.
* It's a chilled place. If you're lost, don't be afraid to ask your way. People are nice and will help you.
* It's the only officially bilingual city in Belgium. French speaking and Flemish speaking people, unite!
* Brussels is a great location if you love to travel anywhere in Europe! You can be in Paris in less than 1h30 by train, you can drive to Germany, Holland, France, Luxembourg etc. and spend a nice little weekend outside of Belgium, and then come back to your cosy city of Brussels.
* Authentic festivals, carnavals, traditions, and modern day events! Ommegang, zinneke parade, Nuit Blanche, Museum Night Fever, Vintage Party... always something to do!
* The best "frites" (a.k.a fries, chips) in the world. Frit'Flagey, Chez Antoine... The best! And so many choice of sauces to go with them. Heaven on earth.
* The best chocolate that ever existed. Dark, rich, creamy, you can find your chocolate dream in Brussels.
* An enormous selection of delicious beers (local from Brussels or just Belgian). You can always try a new one, or go for a classic.
* Waffles? Cupcakes? Cookies? Biscuits? Cakes? Crèpes? We do it all!
* More and more vegetarian/vegan restaurants, snacks and health food stores are opening!
* The historical center of Brussels. It is so beautiful, medieval, full of stories, intimate and glorious at the same time. I could stroll there every day of my life.
* The cimetière d'Ixelles neighborhood. Student life at its best. Cheap and friendly bars everywhere!
* Place Flagey/Etangs d'Ixelles. When you're approaching your 30s, if you want to get in touch with your inner bobo (bourgeois bohème), Flagey is for you! Always a new bar/new place to visit.
* You can also always find a nice green zone. A park, a lake, even the forest!
* Schaerbeek. A big commune of Brussels where I spend most of my childhood and teenage years. On a good day, take a walk in the commune and you will always find beautiful hidden things to look at.
* House fronts. Brussels is a high place of the "Art Nouveau" architectural trend. You will be stunned by the beauty of a Horta house.
* The Cinquantenaire Museum. Wow. Probably one of my favorite place ever. From the park - great place for a picnic - to the museum by itself, it is grand, interesting, and it feels weirdly cosy to me.
* The Fine Arts Museum. I could spend my whole day in that museum, just in the center of Brussels, next to the royal palace. I'm an art lover, and always will be.
* Ps: The museum shop is crazy, huge and full of goodies!
* Weird Belgian surrealism. Why make it simple when you can make it complicated?! Yeah, that's Brussels sometimes.
* I can see myself invest in my professional life here, buy a house here, and raise a family here.
* Most of my family and friends are living in Brussels. How can you beat that?!